Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Pastor's Perch







The Pastor’s Book Shelf (or his E-books):


The Land Called Holy by Robert L. Wilken


The Unmaking of Israel by Gershom Gorenberg







The Pastor’s Perch
September 3, 2014
Ready or not!

I have returned! (Sort of) In some ways it is like I never left while in others, it seems so foreign to be back. But back I am.

I would like to first thank all of you for making the sabbatical possible. From the Sessions approval to each of you who stepped up in some way to lend a hand, you are all to be thanked. Second, I truly hope that the learning that has come out of the sabbatical will help inform our future.

Notice I did not say “my sabbatical” because it was all of ours. In a sense, “my” portion of the sabbatical has lead to some personal learnings as well as insights to help foster our community. However, I am sure all of you have come away from your own insights into our community, both good and bad. So now the question is how do we share these insights. This is the power of sabbaticals. Yes the pastor gets “time off” but the congregation also gets “time off” from the pastor.

I am eager to begin our sharing as we enter the fall. While I will bring some of experiences to the Session and Deacons at a joint meeting next week, I look to share with you some of my insights during worship, through email messages and also through our own chats. But this is not a one way street. Please feel free to share your own insights of “your” sabbatical experience with me.

Sabbatical Insights

The main emphasis of my studies was centered on the Jewish tradition of Sabbath. My intended aim was to see how these traditional practices can help inform our Sabbath practices in the Christian Church. But do not think Puritan Sabbath practices and Blue Laws, the intent is far more spiritual.  So look for these insights in the coming weeks and months.

A Special Welcome

Finally, I just wanted to take a moment and welcome Margaret Roberts, our new Youth Director. I know you have heard all about her, or perhaps you haven’t, but know that I am very excited about having her join us this year. On Sunday, we will more formally welcome her to the community.


Blessings

Todd



Copyright © 2010 Gladwyne Presbyterian Church.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment